One of the late Rachel Johnson's hand appliqued butterflies.
Earlier this morning it was shocking to read that Fidget Quilts should not be pretty --I'd noticed that they often are not-- because it makes them tempting to theft from facilities where they're donated.
To make my quilts less attractive for larceny, I started machine embroidering the initials of the facility in 2" letters along the front edge through all layers. One would have to be really adept with a seam ripper to take out 3 layers of close zigzag without destroying the quilt. So sad it's necessary.
I think of my Touch Quilts as art. Maybe it isn't fine art, but I want them to look pleasing to the eye, so I have try-outs for fabric combos, complimentary colors, and ribbon trims.
Cabbage roses from this strip of upholstery
fabric can be turned in trapunto-style roses
with great touchable texture.
The orange color in the upper wing of this
butterfly compliments some other pieces I may use.
A closer look. Note the fine hand stitching.
I may zigzag over the stitching with monofilament
thread to insure the vintage stitches stay in place.
While I'm auditioning colors and textures, I am also reviewing which trinkets and trims were successful in previous quilts. From left: 1) couched heavy knitting yarn, 2) crochet thread wound on a bobbin and machine stitched using a fancy stitch from the reverse side, and 3)lighter weight yarn, couched. At the top are reverse applique 'fish' in different textures with ribbon trims.
The machine bobbin work is pleasing to the eye, but the touch factor is not nearly as good as the softness of couched yarn.
Do you give your quilts away or are you keeping them all?
ReplyDelete