Thursday, February 11, 2016

Embellishments

The original notion to start making Touch Quilts was to use up fabric and trims that were stashed away starting years ago. All kinds of projects were begun, like doll dressing and Christmas ornaments, then abandoned or completed and the leftover materials tucked into drawers and cupboards.

Today I read a challenge: Use what I have or can find at no cost. This vow I am taking after I ordered off to two different vendors for fleece and other fabric, ribbons and Velcro at the end of 2015.

Those orders were not as pricey as they could have been because of coupons and deals like free shipping over a set amount. I made myself a promise to try to use up everything before I order off again.

I guess I'll have to set myself a tiny limit at local vendors. "I can spend $4.00 and tax," usually does it for me at the dollar store. "I can buy 2 yards of  flannel," might work for a store where there is fabric.  A yard of velveteen or fake fur would make my heart glad when I'm putting together a touch quilt that needs more texture.

I have a Hancock's card worth $10.00 that I could use in a store when we go to the city if I reach a point where I just must buy something.

The best embellishments of course use buttons and/or beads. Touch Quilts need to be safe, so those are tucked away for yet another project.

I have a stash of ribbons from projects but they are mostly narrow. Narrow ribbons make nice flower stems couched with machine stitches. I think I can make some other trims by sewing them in groups. Every time I look at them I see a color that I am lacking, like yellow.

 There is no end to the embellishments that can be made with nothing but fabric and thread when making quilt blocks that need something of interest to the fingers as well as to the eyes.Tucks and gathers can be made in all widths and numbers, for a start. One of my favorites is Prairie Points. There are other shapes of folded fabric that work well for making flowers and other decor.

There's a little basket of acrylic paints that I bought at a yard sale on the way home from Blakely once. Researching painted fabric revealed that I could use those paints and further research told me that I have household chemicals that will render them even more useful. There's even mostly the colors I need for a project that I have in mind to try.

Interesting to me is that many of the best art quilters know how to use what they have and share generously their expertise. Separating the true experts from those who have something to sell and push products has been most revealing.

It's like finding the golden egg at an Easter hunt to find a short tutorial on a blog where the author says, "This is from my class on..." coming from someone whose classes are at the other side of the country and I am not likely to go to class. Wouldn't it be wonderful to live close to one of those places?

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment